Teachers: Racist parents pull children from RE classes because they don’t want them learning about

“Prejudiced” parents are pulling their children from Religious Education classes because they don’t want them learning about Islam, teachers have warned.

Mothers and fathers are abusing their right to withdraw children from the classes, and this is hampering schools' attempts to "prepare a child for life in modern Britain", the Association of Teachers and Lecturers’ annual conference heard.

Camilla Turner, Education Editor 11 April 2018 • 11:30pm

Mr Griffiths told the conference: "I'm sure you are well aware of the dangers of members of society closing themselves off to the rest of the world, the dangers of social media channelling an ever more extreme reflection of people's beliefs, without balance, and the dangers of those children who are ignorant of other religious beliefs and non-beliefs, and lack an understanding of the way that individuals, regardless of religion, can work together and make a positive difference to society are increasingly vulnerable to targeting by extremists."

Kim Knappett, the union's vice president, said she had been shown a letter by a headteacher from a parent who was asking to selectively remove their child from RE and that "the letter was so foul" her answer was that they should refer it to the relevant authorities.

She said in another case, she had been talking to students of different ages about RE in sixth forms and they told her they believed it was important that they learn about each other, and to question and debate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/11/teachers-racist-parents-pull-children-re-classes-dont-want-learning/

Comments

• Knowledge is power. Religious parents prefer their children to be powerless.
    Cunt45 is a Russian asset and an enemy of the U.S.A.
  • The English government has no business teaching any religious dogma to children. This is rightly illegal in the United States.
  • Jean said:

The English government has no business teaching any religious dogma to children. This is rightly illegal in the United States.

They dont teach religion in state schools in the UK
  • Jean said:

The English government has no business teaching any religious dogma to children. This is rightly illegal in the United States.

On the contrary, all state primary and secondary schools and state-funded denominational schools in England promote religious dogma. Religious Education in England is mandated by the Education Reform Act 1988. The curriculum is required to reflect the predominant place of Christianity in religious life and hence Christianity forms the majority of the content of the subject.
    legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/40/pdfs/ukpga_19880040_en.pdf
    Additionally, all schools are required by law to provide a daily act of collective worship, of which at least 51% must be Christian in basis over the course of the academic year.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20080112044304/teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/c/collectiveworship/
  • edited April 16
    In addition the Supreme Governor of the Anglican Church of England is the reigning monarch.
    Cunt45 is a Russian asset and an enemy of the U.S.A.
  • Jean said:

Jean said:

On the contrary, all state primary and secondary schools and state-funded denominational schools in England promote religious dogma. Religious Education in England is mandated by the Education Reform Act 1988. The curriculum is required to reflect the predominant place of Christianity in religious life and hence Christianity forms the majority of the content of the subject.
    Additionally, all schools are required by law to provide a daily act of collective worship, of which at least 51% must be Christian in basis over the course of the academic year.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20080112044304/teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/c/collectiveworship/
    What I said, was that they dont TEACH religion in UK state schools, they may well havr a religious service each morning...as you call it "collective worship"......but certainly no lessons.....at least they didnt when I went to school there
  • Jean said:

Jean said:

What I said, was that they dont TEACH religion in UK state schools, they may well havr a religious service each morning...as you call it "collective worship"......but certainly no lessons.....at least they didnt when I went to school there
    I did write: "The curriculum is required to reflect the predominant place of Christianity in religious life and hence Christianity forms the majority of the content of the subject." This is indoctrination.
  • Jean said:

Jean said:

Jean said:

I did write: "The curriculum is required to reflect the predominant place of Christianity in religious life and hence Christianity forms the majority of the content of the subject." This is indoctrination.
    Sure didnt work on me or most of my friends, just so fucking boring having to be there singing hymns etc etc etc..........which is perhaps why I have absolutely nothing to do with religion