Trump Proposes Deep Cuts In Detecting Disease Outbreaks Worldwide

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/02/12/585119417/trump-proposes-deep-cuts-in-detecting-disease-outbreaks-worldwide

There's a glaring hole in President Trump's budget proposal for 2019, global health researchers say. A U.S. program to help other countries beef up their ability to detect pathogens around the world will lose a significant portion of its funding.

The ambitious program, called Global Health Security Agenda, was launched in early 2014, aiming to set up an early-warning system for infectious diseases across the world.
Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get
The Salt
Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

After the Ebola outbreak later that year the program was significantly ramped up with an additional $120 million dollars a year to expand the building of disease-detection systems to dozens more developing countries around the world. That ramped-up funding runs out in September 2019. And while Trump is keeping the original program he has not proposed continued funding at the current level.

Congress, which has the responsibility to adopt the budget, could end up restoring the funds.

Still, the proposal has critics worried. "Cutting this money is shortsighted," says Dr. Paul Spiegel, who directs the Center for Humanitarian Health at Johns Hopkins University. "By downsizing this program, outbreaks may not be detected as quickly now, and in the end, the U.S. could wind up spending more money [to stop an emergency outbreak]."

In Trump's proposal, funding for the program would drop by about two-thirds, from about $180 million each year to about $60 million each year. As a result, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is planning to downsize its operations — or even close up shop — in 39 countries by September 2019. It will continue its work in 10 countries.

I'm sure everyone agrees, the wall that Mexico will pay for will stop the importation of diseases, right? No reason to spend money that could go toward corporate welfare on disease prevention.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

Comments

• He needs all the money for rewarding himself and invest more in the military industrial complex.
  • edited February 13
    I do not understand the blindness of some people. Most Americans save very little and borrow a lot. They're living on borrowed money. They've already tapped anticipated future earnings to the hilt. They're "in the red" in several contexts.

At the same time, those on the other end of the scale are sucking up money hand over fist, many times more than they could ever spend in a lifetime. And it's this group that's in charge of our tax, monetary, fiscal and economic policies and have the full force of government behind them to make sure they get what they want.

How long to you think this dynamic can continue without a very violent, very severe social upheaval?
    Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.

-Robert A. Heinlein
  • One can only travel on one yacht at a time, fly on only one personal jet at a time, and live in no more than 3 or 4 mansions throughout the year, but one can never rub the fact of their wealth into the face of those less fortunate than them. Greed; it's what makes the world of most of the 1% worth living.
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
  • I wouldnt worry too much about the USA pulling out of this project, thereare dozens of other countries that are doing their bit for mankind, and some are paying far far more than what the USA used to pay
  • edited February 14
    ""In Trump's proposal, funding for the program would drop by about two-thirds, from about $180 million each year to about $60 million each year."".....so how greedy and arrogant can Trump get............$60 million...........a mere 18 cents per capita........whereas Sweden has a big budget for help and assistance in poor countries, and almost all of it goes to help in healthcare , living conditions, disease prevention....... $933million……..$93.3 per capita..........and at the same time..........The USAs defence budget is $824.6 billion, $2530 per capita..........it is called DEFENCE......but how much is actually used defending America as a country.........I can hazard a guess, that most of the money is spent out in the wide wide world waging wars and sustaining US troops in 0ver 180 countries, in comparison Sweden spends about $5bn a year, $500 per capita