Jeff Sessions Faces Fresh Racism Charge After Praising ‘Anglo-American Heritage of Law Enforcement’

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeff-sessions-faces-fresh-racism-192249966.html

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, whose political career has been dogged by allegations of racist comments, faces a fresh backlash after harkening back to the “Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement” during a speech to the National Sheriff’s Association on Monday.

“Since our founding, the independently elected sheriff has been the people's protector, who keeps law enforcement close to and accountable to people through the elected process," he said at the organization's winter conference. "The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement. We must never erode this historic office."

That Anglo-American heritage includes allowing and participating in lynchings, suppression of black people and especially black voters, support overtly and covertly of organizations like the Klan.

Yes, Jeff, lots for a bigot like you to be proud of and want to continue.
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion! Nice try though.

Comments

• Who is eroding “the historic office” of sheriff?
    Sheriff Clark, perhaps?
    Michael Avenatti is Making American Great Again.
  • "Oreo" is a very derogatory term when used toward an African American but it's unfortunate that in Clarke's case it fits.
  • No one is in any doubt about what type of man Jeff Sessions is and it is because he is a racist that he was chosen by Donald Trump to be his Attorney General. Anglo-Saxon racists in American law enforcement would delight in the speech.
  • Yeah, I can understand why you people are so upset ....... you need articles like this to satisfy your need for racist accusations.

Of course, these accusations only apply to your opponents!
    The world is watching what we do today in America. They know what we do here today, and they will treat us accordingly in the future - our soldiers, our diplomats, our journalists, anyone who travels beyond these borders. I hope they will remember this as we go forward. I sincerely hope we can protect what has been called the "great writ" - a writ that has been place in the Anglo-American legal system for over 700 years.

Mr. President, this should not be a difficult vote. I hope we pass this amendment because it is the only way to make sure this underlying bill preserves all the great traditions of our legal system and our way of life.

I yield the floor.

Then Sen. Obama - 2006
  • Sorry Rambler, you're just too stupid to understand context.

Whatever.
  • Exactly.

Yep, just too fucking dumb. He is probably the dumbest one I have come across on this board. No disrespect meant, Rambler. :)
  • Rambler said:

Yeah, I can understand why you people are so upset ....... you need articles like this to satisfy your need for racist accusations.

The world is watching what we do today in America. They know what we do here today, and they will treat us accordingly in the future - our soldiers, our diplomats, our journalists, anyone who travels beyond these borders. I hope they will remember this as we go forward. I sincerely hope we can protect what has been called the "great writ" - a writ that has been place in the Anglo-American legal system for over 700 years.

Mr. President, this should not be a difficult vote. I hope we pass this amendment because it is the only way to make sure this underlying bill preserves all the great traditions of our legal system and our way of life.

I yield the floor.

Then Sen. Obama - 2006
    It looks like Senator Obama was educated in the same system as Jeff Sessions. I wonder, is it necessary to go back to his senate career to find him using the term "Anglo-American" or did he ever use it in the eight years of his presidency? Maybe the racist Jeff Sessions used an innocuous phrase in this instance after all.
  • Note the difference, Jean. Obama is talking about one particular part of an Anglo-American legal system but he really should have said Anglo Saxon law. America has not existed in any Anglo form for 700 years. You would be hard pressed to find any Anglo law enforcement in 1306.

Still, referring to one aspect is one thing, referring to the overall heritage of Anglo law in America with it's past, and some would say current attitude of suppression toward minorities of all kinds is entirely different. This is the context I spoke of while ridiculing the ridiculous Rambler.

The rule of law in America should be enforced equally for all minorities and women and it should also be enforced with a hearty dose of compassion.

Example; right now Trump's ICE enforcers are rounding up productive family members who have been in America for many years, some for decades. Concentrate on those undocumented aliens who are law breakers (note that an alien living in the U.S. in an undocumented manner is the same level of law breaking as speeding violations) and leave people who are contributing to America, alone. That is compassionate enforcement.
  • edited February 13

Note the difference, Jean. Obama is talking about one particular part of an Anglo-American legal system but he really should have said Anglo Saxon law. America has not existed in any Anglo form for 700 years. You would be hard pressed to find any Anglo law enforcement in 1306.

Still, referring to one aspect is one thing, referring to the overall heritage of Anglo law in America with it's past, and some would say current attitude of suppression toward minorities of all kinds is entirely different. This is the context I spoke of while ridiculing the ridiculous Rambler.

The rule of law in America should be enforced equally for all minorities and women and it should also be enforced with a hearty dose of compassion.

Example; right now Trump's ICE enforcers are rounding up productive family members who have been in America for many years, some for decades. Concentrate on those undocumented aliens who are law breakers (note that an alien living in the U.S. in an undocumented manner is the same level of law breaking as speeding violations) and leave people who are contributing to America, alone. That is compassionate enforcement.

Even 'Anglo Saxon' would not be correct because it was English law which was the foundation of American jurisprudence. I suppose for a time Napoleonic law was used in Louisiana. And then there was Spanish law all over the southwest which got replaced over time. But 'Anglo-American' law is something new to me.

• Anglo Saxons were Britons dating from the 5th century and established a form of law that much - but not all - of American law is based on to an extent. American law is also based on other historical legal forms, Roman, Christian, Islamic and even Hammurabi's code. But the point remains that Anglo-American, or white man's law brought about, and continues to enforce law in favor of white men to a certain extent. Less so now than 50 or 60 years ago but still it happens all too often.
  • Anglo Saxons were Britons dating from the 5th century and established a form of law that much - but not all - of American law is based on to an extent. American law is also based on other historical legal forms, Roman, Christian, Islamic and even Hammurabi's code. But the point remains that Anglo-American, or white man's law brought about, and continues to enforce law in favor of white men to a certain extent. Less so now than 50 or 60 years ago but still it happens all too often.

Whatever about the foundation of American Law, the statutes are different from England and even more, it is constitutional in the sense that it is underpinned by a written constitution. (England has no written constitution.) From the very beginning there was a need to change the American Constitution and this has kept it a living and relevant document. I suspect American lawyers are given lectures on various systems of law, maybe even the Bible, and especially English common law. Hence, the phrase used by Sessions and Obama.

Historically, laws were written by the rich and powerful for the rich and powerful.
  • What you don't seem to understand, Jean, is that what Obama said has nothing to do with what Sessions is talking about.
  • Jean said:

Rambler said:

Yeah, I can understand why you people are so upset ....... you need articles like this to satisfy your need for racist accusations.

I yield the floor.

Then Sen. Obama - 2006
    It looks like Senator Obama was educated in the same system as Jeff Sessions. I wonder, is it necessary to go back to his senate career to find him using the term "Anglo-American" or did he ever use it in the eight years of his presidency? Maybe the racist Jeff Sessions used an innocuous phrase in this instance after all.
    Oh, I see.
    Since O did not use the "racist" term during presidency, he gets a pass for using as a Senator?

But, using your logic, Sessions should not be labeled a "racist" since he has used the term during his presidency either.

• Rambler said:

Jean said:

Rambler said:

I yield the floor.

Then Sen. Obama - 2006
    Oh, I see.
    Since O did not use the "racist" term during presidency, he gets a pass for using as a Senator?

But, using your logic, Sessions should not be labeled a "racist" since he has used the term during his presidency either.

Same two words coming from two different people does not mean the same.
    One needs to look at the intent of why those words were said and in what context.

• Yeah, I know.

When a Republican or Conservative says something like that its "racists" -- yet, when a leftist says the exact same thing, its "context"!
  • edited February 14
    Rambler said:

Yeah, I know.

When a Republican or Conservative says something like that its "racists" -- yet, when a leftist says the exact same thing, its "context"!

Yes, to a large extent it is true. Because Republicans are fucking racists and bigots, the context is also racist and bigoted, and their target audience are also racists and bigots.
  • Rambler said:

Yeah, I know.

In the context of what was said, it isn't the same thing, but you don't want to understand that. You want to embrace ignorance and remain a bigot.
  • edited February 15
    I still think it was foolish for Barrack Obama to use the term "Anglo-American" legal system although the American system comes from the English. In contrast, however, the racist Jeff Sessions spoke of "The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement." I think this is his invention. There is nothing English about the police coming from local people. In fact, to this day, when there is social unrest the English will draft in a constabulary from an entirely different county and, historically, within memory, police have been used by central government, not the local community to attack strikers. Jeff Sessions got it wrong.

orgreave
    English Police from Yorkshire and different counties were used to break the miners strike at Orgreave, Yorkshire on orders from London in 1984.